It is the oldest
continually run business in the east end by far. In fact,
it’s arguably one of the oldest run businesses in all of
Ottawa. What can’t be argued is the importance that J.T.
Bradley’s Country Convenience Store has had in the ongoing
history of Navan.
Founded in 1898
by John Thomas Bradley, J.T. Bradley’s has undergone a series
of transformations over the decades. The biggest occurred
in 1948 when the original building was destroyed by fire.
It was soon rebuilt, however, and Navan’s beloved general
store was back in business.
Bradley holds the Bradley Cup in the Navan general store
that bears his great grandfather's name.. FRED SHERWIN
Morris and Borden
Bradley took over the store in 1932 after the sudden passing
of their father. The two brothers managed things through
the Great Depression and the Second World War.
passed away in 1952, Morris ran the store on his own with
the help of his oldest son Lorne, who eventu-ally took over
the business when his father died in 1975.
on as president until his own death in 1991.
The store was
sold to Gerry Labelle after Lorne passed away and was run
as a Quick Mart for three years until John Bradley purchased
the business in 1994 at the age of 29 – the same age J.T.
Bradley was when he first started the store in 1898, and
the same age Morris was when he took over the business in
Far from being
just another country store, J.T. Bradley’s is an integral
part of the community and has been for as long as it has
and the Bradley family are the living definition of the
what it means to give back to the community.
was a founding mem-ber of the Navan Lions Club and his wife
Elda was a member of the Navan Women’s Institute, the Navan
Branch of the Canadian Red Cross Society and the Ottawa
Women’s Canadian Club.
was also a charter member of the Navan Lions Club and he
played a leading role in the building of the first Navan
Arena in 1952, its rebuilding after a fire destroyed the
original building in 1955, the installation of artificial
ice in 1972 and the construction of the third Arena in 1982.
son and John Bradley’s father, Ross Bradley, also played
a key role in the construction of the third arena and he
led the fundraising efforts for the Navan Curling Club and
the village Cenotaph among a number of other projects.
Given his family’s
commitment and dedication to the community, it was only
natural for John to follow in the footsteps of his father,
uncles and grandfather. Over the years he has raised tens
of thousands of dollars for a variety of local projects.
For their efforts,
the Bradley family was given the key to the city in 2001.
will be celebrating their 120th anniversary with an Open
House on Friday, March 29. There will be live entertainment
along with complimentary coffee and cake. The Bradley Cup
hockey tournament will be contested the following day at
the nearby Navan Memorial Arena.
The Bradley Cup
dates back to 1926 when it was put up by John Thomas Bradley
to be given to the winner of a two game, total goal challenge
series between Navan and Vars.
Navan won the
first series in double overtime. Cumberland Village won
the pewter cup in 1929 and Navan won it back four years
later. It would sit on a shelf in J.T. Bradley and Sons
until 1948 when it was dusted off for a rematch between
Navan and Vars which Navan won 8-1 on aggregate.
The Cup was won
by a team from French Hill in 1959 when it was once again
placed on a shelf to collect dust until John decided to
organize a tournament to raise money for a local man battling
This year’s tournament
will be con-tested between teams from Navan, Vars, Cumberland,
Orléans, Sarsfield and Embrun.
was made possible thanks to the generous support of our
local business partners.)